Search This Blog

13 December 2005

Post Afternoon

I'd like to share with you what it was that I accomplished today. It was a lovely day filled with busy-ness and christmas yule, friends and laughter. It started early and is only now winding down.

Step one of my adventerous day began when Kiki and CJ arrived shortly after 830 this morning. Coffee was brewing and I was in the business of making a trial run of chocolates to, Lord willing they turn out, give to random people as christmas gifts. Kiki and CJ were my ginea pigs. Things went well. Kiki was a bit disappointed that I hadn't made my flax seed and raw sunflower seed waffles (they taste way better than they sound) so she could properly engage her bowels, but hopefully we got her straightened around. I had leftover shepherds pie and I thought it was pretty good. They stayed for a few hours and we discussed the ins and outs of God and church and crazy people (I am a preacher's kid, afterall. Which, just for the record, has absolutley no bearing on anything whatsoever, my behaviour included). We laughed, we tee-heed, we ate chocolates and farted and did a little more knitting. All in all we had a highly enjoyable morning.

As time drifted by, I cancelled my tutoring to focus on studies for this coming weekend/week. I've major finals on Saturday, Monday and Tuesday so I wanted to get as much tidied as possible before the weekend rolled around.

I had a shower.

I tried on my outfit for PC's christmas party on Friday night.

Anna, PC's sister-in-law called. I chatted with her for about an hour. Soon after that I went to Zeller's to pick up a toy for her kid because, you know, I was around and it was no big deal and it saved her a trip into town. In fact it was on my way to the library. It was the ideal set up.

While at Zeller's I stopped and talked to Edwin and his wife. We discussed his back surgery and how busy I was with final exams just around the corner and how swamped I was with studying. Or thoughts of studying. I'm fairly certain the two are interchangeable.

I paid for my purchases and wandered through the mall, you know, because I was there and I thought I may have been missing something. I wasn't.

I talked to Anna again on my cell, you know, just to make sure that I got the right thing for the kid. Perhaps it (the toy) was at Walmart too. Not a problem. I would get this one and make a quick trip up to price compare, you know, because it was just around the corner and Wednesday afternoon, a week and a half before Christmas is, you know, the perfect time to go to Walmart. After all, I had decided I would go to Starbucks and do a little studying, maybe have a gingerbread latte again because, you know, it was on the way and I'm working parttime and can afford a $5 latte.

So I wandered around that mall, because I was there and I wanted to see if I were missing anything. I also price shopped. I got the better deal at Zellers. Where I stopped and talked to Edwin about his back.

I stopped and talked to Jules and found out about her plans for the holidays. And her family's plans. And her exam schedule. And how she was finding all the studying that needed to be done.

I stopped by CJ's house and looked at her tree and squeezed her kid's head.

I deposited money in the bank.

I got a call from my brother, he was in town for a few hours and wondered if I could pick him up some supper. Not a problem because, you know, it's my brother, he was hungry and if I took the highway from where I was, it could totally be on my way.

I spent 25 minutes in the drive thru. I stared at a grossly obese woman's ass pressed up against the window inside. The image burned into me and informed me that I need not order anything for myself. And just for the record, approximately two-thirds of our fair capital decided that they needed to eat greasy chicken for supper. Because, you know, 'tis the season.

I got him a coffee.

I got onto the highway.

I made it there in 6 minutes.

We chatted for a bit. He looked tired. He asked me how studying was going.

"Oh, you know, it's pretty hectic. Finals are a real killer".

I wished him a good week and told him to drive safe, that I loved him and I would see him on the weekend.

I came home. I checked the answering machine. I ate a homemade chocolate. I noticed a Family Guy dvd on the bar. I came in here. I checked my email. I decided to blog.

And I suddenly realize that, as it all dawns on me, that I have accomplished absolutley fuck all of what I had originally set out to do. But, you know, it was a pretty good day. And the closest I got to a textbook was to move it out of the way. I think I'll go knit.


What is success?
To laugh often and much;
To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty;
To find the best in others;
To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition;
To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived;
This is to have succeeded.

Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

1 comment:

Smarts said...

Thanks, this post reminded me just how fucking bad my life sucks...just as I was convincing myself otherwise.

And how good I have been doing at NOT swearing!

:)