Search This Blog

26 January 2006

Obvious

I'm having a bit of a snack. What I really wanted was half a bagel with peanut butter - but not just any peanut butter - the really good kind with lots of sugar and oil in it to prevent separation. The kind that says "An excellent source of Protein and a bunch of shit you don't really Need!". That kind of peanut butter. But, *sigh*, I didn't. Probably because I didn't have any, but regardless, I settled for my "Ingredients: Peanuts". No shit added. It's surprsingly good on a whole wheat and flax bottom half of a bagel. Satisfying, actually. And cleansing. We mustn't forget the cleansing part. I'm also having my requisite 500 ml of V8 juice because I am not a good veggie eater. I like veggies and always enjoy them when I have them, but there's a heck of a lot of prep work that go along with them. So every morning before class, I dutifully fill my small Nalgene bottle with the mixed goodness and head off to class with a clear conscience.

Speaking of Nalgene bottles, I'm a bit of a whore with them. I think I'm on my 8th one, and believe it or not, I have lost them in some pretty cool ways - not just forgetting them at the gym or leaving it in a friend's car. I rolled boats to misplace some of these puppies; climbed mountains; trudged swamps. Once upon a time I was an adventurer. Now my Nalgenes (because there's more than one) go in my backpack (that is also littered with war wounds from past traverses) and I head to academia. Yes people, at one point I was abhorred by the thought of 'car camping'. You didn't do that. No, wait, that's not true, we did it once. And it was a riot. But we were real campers and real campers packed in water to waterless places, and swated bugs, and crawled over logs and survived on unstable footing.

Funny how things change. Now I kind of get tired thinking about packing the car to go to mom and dad's. And when I say 'packing the car', I actually mean 'putting my laundry basket in the back seat'. I wore NorthFace before it became cool. I had a nalgene bottle before it was hip. I had MEC equipment before it was trendy. And yes, I wore a fleece vest and wool socks in my sandals. And I embraced it. We were like the postal service - nothing slowed us down - not rain, nor sleet, nor hail - we set tents up in it all. I spent a weekend on a beach on the northern tip of Vancouver Island with two other people with nothing other than a sleeping bag and a tarp. It was cold, but there's nothing quite like falling asleep with the roar of the pacific ocean at your feet.

But you know, I'm not sad that my life has changed. It's not that I've not had adventures like I used to, they're just different now. I guess I had to learn to discern between something being different and something being bad, or sad, or just not good. It's a good lesson to learn.

"It takes a lot of experience for a girl to kiss like a beginner."

Ladies Home Journal, 1948

3 comments:

Curious Jane said...

then you met me and went girly.
;P


Bugs.... shudder

Ms Dare2dv8 said...

LOL

yes, I have been girlified, and surprisingly enough, enjoy it! :)

Bridget said...

I'm so not with it. Just in November I got a MEC membership and my first Nalgene bottle. I bow to your with-it-ness. :)