Search This Blog

02 May 2006

A Strange Tag

Believe it or not, and I'm certain no one will be surprised, I'm tagging myself. I started intercession classes today - 3 three credit hour courses jammed into a fun-filled seven weeks. I'm already feeling like I'm going to jelly. But maybe that has more to do with the cupcakeS I ate after dinner. Anyways, the point of the tirade is that in one of my classes we had to come up with five questions to ask another person - get to know them kind of stuff. That's one thing about being a teacher - we do a lot of reflecting, asking, thinking, sorting, abstract stuff. You would think that do to this fact alone my gpa would be higher. Huh.

Anyways, I asked a girl five questions this morning, and I thought they were good questions. They were questions that I would like to be asked because I felt they hit the heart of me. She thought I was a bit strange and the other girl wouldn't make direct eye contact after I was done, but hey, you can't win 'em all. So I've listed my questions and posting my answers and therefore bring my own tag to fruition.

1) What's your favourite colour?

My favourite colour is blue because there are so many shades that represent so many different things - it's tangible and not all at once. It's the colour of the ocean one day, the colour of the sky another, and sometimes it represents sadness, other moments it's calming. It's a really good multi-tasker.

2) Why do you do what you do? Why are you working on what you want to become?

I've done some neat things, strange things, exhausting things, and irrelevant-to-anything things, but teaching grants me that internal balance that is understood only by those who also have it. There is a great satisfaction in finding something that demands my very best without thwarting who I am. It does not allow me to put myself on the backburner of my abilities. It says "yes you can, now go do it".

3) What do you want me to go away knowing about you?

I want you to know that life is important to me, just as laughing and crying and stomping my feet and giving a hug. I want you to know that I make a good clap and cheer section.

4) What is your biggest fear?

To miss out on who I am because of the fears of others, of taking on that fear, letting it rule my own life. To hesitate at the very moment I am meant to jump.

5) Do you always tell the truth no matter what the cost?

I am more inclined to say that I choose my battles a little more wisely. The older I get I learn that sometimes the truth doesn't change the reality. I will always be honest, but I seem to lack the need to brow-beat from the standpoint of black and white.

Ladies... Bridgette, Kiki, Paige, Fenn, Angel, Jenn, Labousse... would you care for a spin?

I'm pooped tonight. But it's a good exhaustion. Tomorrow's hump day!

I want to be thoroughly used up when I die... Life is no brief candle to me. It's a sort of splendid torch which I've got to hold up for the moment and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations.

George Bernard Shaw

7 comments:

Suz said...

I LOVE these questions. I would want to be friends FOREVER with a girl who asked me questions like that. Girls are no good at banter or real questions. Cut the bullshit already! Life is too short.

Also, I ADORE this quotation. I am going to steal it and make it my life's motto. This is how I feel about teaching!

Bridget said...

I love you answers, especially the one about being ready to jump when the time comes. You are so cool!

Broken Angel said...

Yes, Watson, most excellent questions indeed........ oops! sh#t, hope that wasn't Ashton Kutcher from "Dude Where's My Car?" Either way, great questions, and I've never been one to shy away from introspection, it breaks up the necessary societal dissection required to tap into that sarcastic wit that keeps us all sane.(Or at least able to pass for sane) I'm feeling kinda jealous, because I followed my passion for the law until the other day when I woke up with the overwhelming feeling that I'd rather be teaching, or helping to rebuild third world countries, and that I'd missed the boat because of my inability to leave behind those who need me. It's so unfair that we're supposed to know what we want to be when we grow up, before we're really ready to grow up yet. P.S., thanks for sharing Uncle Rolls. This poor orphan girl has almost no one left alive, and I love to hear the stories that build the rich tapestries of other people's history. It must be so wonderful to have a large family, stories to tell over meals on special occasions, stories that grow with each telling, yet never stop making us laugh no matter how many times we retell them. The gift is not just in the story, but in how we tell it. Thank-you for introducing me to your Uncle Rolls. It was really great to meet him. I'd be happy to answer any questions you had.

Ms Dare2dv8 said...

Angel - you're welcome to come to dinner anytime :)

I had friends fly in from Vancouver one Thanksgiving - Ian was very quiet and he took everything in. Wendy was joining in with the rest of the rucous. As everyone talked over everyone else and we were into our seventh pot of joe and 8 courses of breakfast, Ian looks at me and says: "You know, you make a lot more sense".

I think he summed it up very well.
;)
Come visit anytime - I'm always happy to share!

Jeni Paij said...

I'm on it... :)

Broken Angel said...

OMG - A car soooo trumps a rock any day! I had a boyfriend buy me a really nice bug when I was 16, they're so cute and cool, I think the boys like to see us in them! I am so into show cars and trucks (though once you hit the big 30, suddenly all these pesky other bills and stuff interfere with the whole 'I paid my share of rent, now I've got x$', so vehicle now just required to run- being cute, fast, fun,or anything else is just a bonus). And here lies the answer to that ages old question we have always asked ourselves - When the hell will I ever use algebra in my whole life after school? This is where. Y = pay, N= rent and absolute necessities(not food, that's what dating's for, free food) x = the costs of fun(most of which should be covered by dating, but, you know, sometimes we have to buck up a little). So Y-N=X! Finally a reason to figure out X! A gal who likes cool cars is a cool gal by me! So, did you want us to actually answer those questions, post them here? email them elsewhere? 'cause being a Leo I'm kind, loyal, generous and loving to a fault - and not afraid to tell the world how great I am heehee. I've never yet met an east-coaster that wasn't caring,totally fun,had a great laugh and a great sense of humour, and could drink the biggest westerner under the table with little effort(hell, and still juggle 18 items using only one hand and their nose!) Oh, and I'm totally in for dinner (remember firm life motto re:free meals, especially of the home made variety)just might have to wait for a seat sale if you're too far. Also, I think we should try and stage an intervention or something for Bridget as she's breaking my heart, and, like free food, I also believe one should never turn down happily-ever-after with one's true love. Unless she's writing fiction, in which case she's really good (either way it's really good, and so incredibly believable)but if this epic saga is for real she owes it to us(oh, and to herself too) to give that saltwater princess her happily ever-after, even if it means going on a little safari.......;)

Ms Dare2dv8 said...

lol - Angel, you are one of the most lovely, long-winded Leo's I have had the pleasure to ever meet! Feel free to answer the tag wherever you feel most inclined... most do it on their blogs, but I think it's safe to say aloud that I've never been much one for conformity!