Search This Blog

03 December 2006

I've no rights to complain, but I'm about to. It's -6 (21.2F) but feels like -11(12.2F) and while that is not cold compared to many other parts of this large country, it's cold to me. We haven't had a good old fashioned winter in about five years... actually, now that I think about it, it was my first winter home, 2002 that we had the big one. Everyone complains about winter, that they don't want to see it snow, that they don't want the cold, quoting the addage that you don't have to shovel rain. But I'm not there. Yes, snow is a lot of work and cold is cold, but there's something to be said about it. Bring it on.

I'm moving to Fort McMurray, Alberta in January. It's been hovering around -30 (-22F) for awhile, and is not uncommon for it to dip to -40 and beyond. I may actually die when I step off the plane. Collapse right there between the aircraft and the airport. Needless to say, I should probably shut my mouth at the -11 because sooner than later, that will be balmy.

4 comments:

Smarts said...

I just might strip naked and run down the street were it to warm up to -11C. Riber would think she had been transported to Florida.

Don't breathe too deeply when you step off the plane in January.

Ski pants are very fashionable here.

Bridget said...

Yes, at -11 the kids skip snow pants and I give my thermals a break. That would be lovely but alas most people will point out it's a dry prairie cold. As long as there's no wind, you don't feel as if you might die.
I've been out here four years now and I am still alive, and the biggest complainer you will ever meet so there's hope for you!
(hugs!)

Ms Dare2dv8 said...

lol

so the title for Chief Whiner has been taken, eh?

Bridget said...

No, it's all in the past now :)