Search This Blog

27 August 2009

I love Stuart Maclean. Love him. And he's coming to Edmonton... on my due date, but he's coming. It's like the kind of love where I actually emailed him and told him that when even the tried and true CBC could not penetrate the Great Canadian Shield of Northern Ontario, whilst driving through one summer with my sister, he was there in a book and on CD and it honestly made it one of the best drives of my entire life.

Funny, I never email people, or join fan clubs (facebook doesn't count) or get all stupid over people. Usually I'm fairly "yeah, I really like him/her/them/it", enjoy them, but end up calling it a day before anything remotely fanatical takes place. But I have to admit that Stuart, The Tragically Hip, and Blue Rodeo stand out. Interestingly, they're all great Canucks.

Anyways, the whole crux of this was that I was trying to pinpoint why they're different to me... figure out why they stand out when others, while I may like/enjoy them, I could take or leave them, or simply be content with hearing them spattered amidst radio playlists, but these three, well, these three required more from me, required a certain amount of passion and dedication. And I figured it out. They were there.

While some people may need cars or clothes or people or whatever, it was these three that met me in those proverbial places. They were there... or they took me there... or hung out with me there.... but never demanded me there. And those particular moments, spent both with people and without, were some of the best I can ever recall. To me, those are what my best memories are made of.

One spring my sister and I drove across Canada. You have to appreciate that this was neither a new nor novel thing for either of us girls to do. We had each made several previous trips before this (and two months later I would do it again with my girlfriend Laura), but there was something very different about this time. My sister and I are similar in some ways, yet very different in others. I used to think we were like oil and water, but now it's more like balsamic vinegar and olive oil... different, will separate, but the mix is divine.... anyways, I didn't know how'd we make out, but we did it. And it was one of the best trips ever. We read to each other (Stuart), listened to the radio (Blue Rodeo), and enjoyed the silence mixed with the hum of the road as we sped across the praries. You appreciated the vastness of our country, its diversity, all the nooks and crannies that held all the secrets, oddballs and hidden gems. If you've never, you should. There is a quiet something to it that leaves a permanent mark... perhaps I am in need of an old CD... a simplicity that is calling.

I finished school... done... it seems to have been so long that I barely know what to do with myself. But I'm sure I'll figure it out.


I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better. They fight for honor at the first challenge, make love with no moral restraint, and they do not for all their marvelous instincts appear to know about death. Being such wonderfully uncomplicated beings, they need us to do their worrying.
George Bird Evans

2 comments:

Smarts said...

This was a perfect post! I've often tried in my own head to find the words for why I love these guys all so much also... you managed it well!

The next SM visit will be ours for sure!!!! As long as you don't get yourself knocked up again, that is. ;-0

Ms Dare2dv8 said...

lol - I will do my best!! Actually, I can guarantee that I shall be there - child free!!! xoxo